close to making the NCAA tournament und

in Gedankenraum 11.10.2019 07:42
von miaowang123 | 75 Beiträge

CHICAGO -- Jake Arrieta is doing his part to fill the gap left by Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel. Arrieta pitched well into the eighth inning and Justin Ruggiano hit an RBI single with two outs in the ninth inning Friday that sent the Chicago Cubs over the Atlanta Braves 5-4. Arrieta gave up three runs and four hits in 7 2-3 innings. He struck out six and walked three. The right-hander is 4-0 with a 1.30 ERA in his last seven starts. Arrieta said he has taken more of a leadership position after Samardzija and Hammel were traded to Oakland last week. "I am pretty comfortable with the responsibilities that come along with a role like that. Its something I embrace and look forward to continue to be in this role, to help guys establish themselves and combat the struggles that take place at this level," he said. "Hopefully, help guys start to take off and produce at a high level for us," he said. Arrieta figures to be one of the few mainstays along with All-Stars Anthony Rizzo and Starlin Castro as the Cubs continue to rebuild within the system. Arismendy Alcantara singled with two outs off Jordan Walden (0-1) in the Cubs ninth and stole second. Ruggiano then got a hit that slipped past shortstop Andrelton Simmons to win it. "The future is bright. That is very apparent. Guys like Alcantara and we have guys in the pipeline that can definitely help us in the future," Arrieta said. The Braves, who scored the tying run in the top of the ninth on Christian Bethancourts two-out single, have lost five of six following a nine-game winning streak. Jordan Schafer stole three bases for Atlanta and was caught stealing once. "Schafer had a great day. He stole three bags, he got on base, played nice defence. And BJ (Upton) been doing nice in the leadoff spot. Im happy with those guys at the top of the order. Now we need to keep the line moving, and we will," Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez said. Arrieta left with a 4-3 lead but wound up with a no-decision when Cubs closer Hector Rondon (2-3) couldnt hold the lead in the ninth. Rondon allowed a leadoff double to Jason Heyward in the ninth. After retiring the next two batters, Rondon gave up Bethancourts single. It was Rondons third blown save of the season. The Cubs have won two straight after losing six in a row. "We were probably a little down a little bit after losing those two guys. They were two big guys in the clubhouse. But we have a tight group and we all pull for each other. We will be all right," Ruggiano said. Freddie Freeman drove in two runs for Atlanta. Braves starter Alex Wood pitched 5 1/3 innings and allowed four runs on five hits and three walks. The 23-year-old left-hander struck out six. "I battled through some stuff. I thought we battled hard and scraped for some runs. I thought we played pretty well," Wood said. After retiring the first six batters, Wood gave up a leadoff double to Chris Coghlan in the third inning. Coghlan stole third and scored on Arrietas perfectly executed squeeze. With two outs, Ruggianos single drove in Mike Olt to make it 2-0. Arrieta was unable to hold the lead. He walked Schafer in the fourth and gave up his first hit of the game, a double to Simmons. Freeman and Justin Upton had RBI grounders. In the sixth, Wood reached on an infield single, his first hit in the majors, and moved up on Schafers sacrifice bunt. With two outs, Freeman doubled off the ivy in centre field for a 3-2 lead. The Cubs loaded the bases with no outs in the sixth. Junior Lake struck out and broke the bat over his knee. Coghlan hit a tying single and Braves reliever Shae Simmons walked Luis Valbuena on four straight pitches to give the Cubs a 4-3 lead. NOTES: Cubs INF Emilio Bonifacio started his rehab assignment in Arizona. Hes been on the DL with an oblique strain since June 13. ... Rizzo appreciated all the support he got in the push by the team that made him the final NL All-Star voted in by the fans. "Walked over to the offices, thanked all the front office and the people working behind the scenes to pump it up, to promote it. Very, very appreciative. My familys ecstatic. Come along way, altogether -- me, myself, everyone else around me thats coached me, thats helped me out through good times and bad times. Its an accomplishment Ill cherish forever," the first baseman said. ... Cubs 2B Darwin Barney was activated from the paternity list. The Cubs recalled Zac Rosscup from Triple-A Iowa and relievers Kyle Hendricks and Blake Parker were optioned to Iowa. ... Braves starter LHP Mike Minor is scheduled to make his second career start against the Cubs on Saturday. In his previous start, he gave up one run in 7 1/3 innings. Luguentz Dort Jersey . -- The Tampa Bay Lightning are disappointed, though not discouraged. Kyle Singler Thunder Jersey . Maricopa County spokeswoman Cari Gerchick says thats the finding from an autopsy conducted Thursday by the county Medical Examiners Office. https://www.thunderrookiesshop.com/Gary-Payton-City-Edition-Jersey/ .com) - It may just be the right place and the right opponent for the Detroit Red Wings to snap their longest losing streak of the season. Russell Westbrook Thunder Jersey . Cammalleri scored two goals, Corban Knight netted the winner in a shootout, and the Flames erased a two-goal deficit in the third period to beat the Stars 4-3 on Friday night. Chris Paul Thunder Jersey .com) - The San Antonio Spurs will try to even their series with the Dallas Mavericks Monday night when the two teams collide at American Airlines Arena for Game 4.Danny Manning grew up watching Wake Forest play games at the Greensboro Coliseum, memories that linger in his mind all these years later. He never thought one day hed coach the Demon Deacons. Manning, the former Kansas star who spent the past two seasons coaching Tulsa, was hired Friday as Wake Forests basketball coach. Hell be introduced at a news conference next week on campus in Winston-Salem, N.C., a short drive from where Manning grew up. "I spent a lot of my formative childhood years in North Carolina," Manning told The Associated Press on Friday at AT&T Stadium, the site of this weekends Final Four. "I spent the majority of my life in Kansas," Manning said, "but this was a chance to be a part of a university that I share the same values and history with." His hiring ends Wake Forests two-week search for a replacement for Jeff Bzdelik, who resigned under intense public pressure following four mostly unremarkable seasons. Manning, who was 38-29 with two post-season berths in two seasons at Tulsa, interviewed this week and toured the campus in Winston-Salem on Wednesday before taking the job two days later. His hiring is considered somewhat risky because of his lack of head coaching experience, but theres no question he brings instant name recognition to a program that dropped to near the bottom of the expanded Atlantic Coast Conference. "There have been very few players who have had as much success on the court as Danny," Wake Forest athletic director Ron Wellman said in a statement. "He has played for and worked under a number of legendary coaches and he has been successful in his coaching career. We fully expect that Dannys coaching career will reflect the excellence of his playing career." Manning attended Greensboro Page High School before his family moved to Lawrence, Kan., for his senior year, and when it was time to choose a college, he picked Kansas over North Carolina. After his "Danny and the Miracles" team won the national title in Kansas City, not far from the Jayhawks campus, Manning was drafted first overall by the Los Angeles Clippers in 1988. He made two All-Star teams during a career maarred by injuries before joining coach Bill Selfs staff at Kansas in 2003.dddddddddddd Responsible primarily for working with post players, Manning was promoted to assistant coach in 2006 and two years ago earned his first head coaching job at Tulsa. Self called Manning "one of the most accomplished, humble people youll ever meet." The 47-year-old Manning took the Golden Hurricane to the CBI in his first year and followed that by guiding them to the Conference USA tournament title and their first NCAA tournament berth since 2003. They earned a No. 13 seed and lost to UCLA in their tournament opener. Tulsa forward Rashad Smith said he found out about Mannings move through teammates and media reports, though he said the coach texted him shortly thereafter. Guard James Woodard said it was "kind of shocking. "You know in the back of your mind, the run we had this year, there would be a lot of opportunities out there," Woodard said. "Im happy for him." Wake Forest never came close to making the NCAA tournament under Bzdelik, who stepped down March 20. Bzdelik went 51-76 with a 17-51 record in ACC play, and won only two league road games. Eight players transferred out during his tenure, and the Demon Deacons have been one of the youngest programs in the country -- with only one fourth-year senior in each of the past two years. Barring any more transfers, Manning will inherit a team with eight players who are either juniors or redshirt juniors -- including promising big man Devin Thomas and tempo-setting guard Codi Miller-McIntyre. As details of Mannings hiring trickled across Twitter, Miller-McIntyre tweeted: "Finally its over! Time to get back to work." Manning called the Demon Deacons a "sleeping giant," one that he believes will be able to contend with Tobacco Road rivals Duke and North Carolina in the near future. "A few years back, they were ranked No. 1 in the country," Manning told AP. "Theyve had great players. Youre about Chris Paul, Tim Duncan, just to name a few, because theyve had quite a few. "Im looking forward to going there and being part of that great tradition." ' ' '

nach oben springen

Besucher

Wir begrüßen unser neuestes Mitglied: slotonline123
Forum Statistiken
Das Forum hat 937 Themen und 940 Beiträge.

Heute waren 0 Mitglieder Online:

Xobor Forum Software von Xobor | Forum, Fotos, Chat und mehr mit Xobor